Fandango surveyed more than 8,000 moviegoers in regards to 2018 films, covering most anticipated movies, rising stars and much more. With no surprise here, many of the films and stars were from either an upcoming superhero movie or one Star Wars standalone (or “solo”) film in particular.
You can check out all of the lists below:
2018’s Most Anticipated Movie:
1. Avengers: Infinity War (May 4)
2. Black Panther (Feb. 16)
3. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (June 22)
4. Untitled Deadpool Sequel (June 1)
5. Solo: A Star Wars Story (May 25)
6. Incredibles 2 (June 15)
7. Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (Nov. 16)
8. A Wrinkle in Time (March 9)
9. X-Men: Dark Phoenix (Nov. 2)
10. Ocean’s 8 (June 8)
Not very many surprises here, unless you’re a stickler for rankings. Avengers and Black Panther topping the list seems appropriate given the ramifications of one, while the latter has its marketing in full force given the February release. Now for DC fans, the list could be a bit concerning. Though the marketing hasn’t taken off just yet, the fact that Ocean’s 8 cracks the top 10 over Aquaman (the irony) could be telling after the performance of Justice League. Even a lack of marketing can’t be blamed entirely seeing as Solo rounded out the top 5.
Fan Favorite Actress:
1. Scarlett Johansson (Avengers: Infinity War, Isle of Dogs)
2. Jennifer Lawrence (Red Sparrow, X-Men: Dark Phoenix)
3. Zoe Saldana (Avengers: Infinity War)
4. Sandra Bullock (Ocean’s 8)
5. Emilia Clarke (Solo: A Star Wars Story)
A star from Avengers will be making each on of these lists, and for good reason. When it comes to characters, it’s hard to compete with years upon years of building connections to them. What is interesting is Emilia Clarke’s name. No doubt due to her popularity on Game of Thrones, the fact that she can crack the list without a single piece of marketing should show us just how big the Star Wars name is — in case you didn’t already know.
Fan Favorite Actor:
1. Chris Pratt (Avengers: Infinity War, Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom)
2. Ryan Reynolds (Untitled Deadpool Sequel)
3. Robert Downey Jr. (Avengers: Infinity War)
4. Chris Evans (Avengers: Infinity War)
5. Dwayne Johnson (Skyscraper, Rampage)
The fact that four of the five are Marvel heroes and three of the five are in the same movie should say something. One, Avengers will break the box office. Two, when will Dwayne Johnson show up in the MCU? In all seriousness, despite Pratt having two blockbusters on his plate, it’s still impressive for him to top two MCU veterans.
Rising Female Movie Star:
1. Danai Gurira (Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War)
2. Storm Reid (A Wrinkle in Time)
3. Zazie Beetz (Untitled Deadpool Sequel)
4. Olivia Cooke (Thoroughbreds, Ready Player One)
5. Pixie Davies (Mary Poppins Returns)
Rising Male Movie Star:
1. Alden Ehrenreich (Solo: A Star Wars Story)
2. Winston Duke (Black Panther, Avengers: Infinity War)
3. Tye Sheridan (Ready Player One, X-Men: Dark Phoenix)
4. Levi Miller (A Wrinkle in Time)
5. Charlie Heaton (“The New Mutants”)
Something appears to be a trend on this list is actors getting help from their respective television shows. For Danai Gurira to top the list and for Charlie Heaton to make the list is almost certainly thanks to The Walking Dead and Stranger Things. It also helped that the marketing for Black Panther has been spot on and that New Mutants blew minds with its first trailer. Despite Ready Player One not appearing on the most anticipated list, it’s lead Tye Sheridan will sure be known to the fans by the end of 2018 with X-Men also on the table.
Most Anticipated Comic Book Character in a Standalone Movie:
1. Chadwick Boseman as Black Panther (Black Panther)
2. Jason Momoa as Aquaman (Aquaman)
3. Tom Hardy as Venom (Venom)
4. Sophie Turner as Jean Grey/Phoenix (X-Men: Dark Phoenix)
5. Evangeline Lilly as The Wasp (Ant-Man and the Wasp)
Finally! Aquaman makes a list. Still a hot name due to his initial success on Game of Thrones, Jason Momoa was seen as a standout in Justice League. The untraditional look for Arthur Curry also garnered plenty of attention when it was first released to fans, so it makes sense for fans to be interested in his solo venture. Tom Hardy in Venom is probably the most interesting one though, simply because the film boasts such a solid cast for a movie many are still so confused about.
Most Anticipated Movie Villain
1. Josh Brolin in Avengers: Infinity War
2. Johnny Depp in Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald
3. Michael B. Jordan in Black Panther
4. Jessica Chastain in X-Men: Dark Phoenix
5. Nick Castle (as Michael Myers) in Halloween (2018)
Josh Brolin has been teased to fans as Thanos since the beginning. Just as he has sat in his throne for that duration of time, it makes sense for him to sit atop this list as well. Chastain in X-Men is probably the one fans know the least about, but adding such a talent to an already impressive cast is never a bad sign. Michael B. Jordan will also be one to watch as he reunites with director Ryan Coogler, who seems to bring out Jordan’s best.
Most Anticipated Horror Thriller
1. Untitled Cloverfield Movie
2. Halloween (2018)
3. The Purge: The Island
4. Insidious: The Last Key
5. A Quiet Place
The first list without a superhero movie — impressive. Although, New Mutants cracking this list wouldn’t have been shocking in the slightest. What is shocking is that Halloween falls behind a movie that fans know the least about.
Most Anticipated Family Movie
1. Incredibles 2
2. A Wrinkle in Time
3. Mary Poppins Returns
4. Ralph Breaks the Internet: Wreck-It Ralph 2
5. Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation
It’s only fitting that the poll ends on a heroic note. Incredibles 2 has been something fans have been craving well before the first Avengers debuted in theaters — think about that. Before we were treated to massive shared universes, Pixar hit us with what is widely seen as the best Fantastic Four film. With New Mutants going the horror right (despite not making the previous list), 2018 will be a year for superhero fans of all ages — literally.
What do you think of the poll results? Do you agree with where each film or star placed? Sound with your thoughts in the comments below and get ready for and exciting 2018!
10 Best Superhero Movie Moments Of 2017
2017 has been a massive year for superhero movies. There have been many comic book movie releases from 20th Century Fox, Marvel Studios and Warner Brothers, with each company providing some solid superhero films to dive into. There were certainly some surprises and some disappointments, but overall it has been a solid year for superheroes filled with very memorable moments. With so many heroes hitting the big screen it’s no surprise that their films have iconic moments and scenes worth mentioning. With the end of the year within sight it’s a perfect time to look back at all the films and see which moments stood out the most. Some of these moments will certainly be talked about for years to come and they deserve the recognition of being great.
Here are the 10 best superhero movie moments of 2017. Spoilers ahead! Click Next to continue!