It was previously reported that a live-action television series based on the X-Men was in development that would see 24’s Evan Katz and Manny Coto as showrunners, with Star Trek 3 scribes Patrick McKay and J.D. Payne writing the series. Since those reports, there had been no word on the series moving forward, until now.
“[For] X-Men, we’re in negotiations with Marvel. We’re hopeful we’ll be able to announce something soon. We’re not closed on a deal yet but it’s something we’re definitely pursuing” Fox Television Group chairman and CEO Dana Walden told The Hollywood Reporter on Thursday at the Television Critics Association’s summer press tour stop.
Fox is looking for ways to expand the X-Men franchise beyond the films, which currently include “X-Men: Apocalypse” and spin-offs “Deadpool” and “Gambit” in development. However, the deal is far from complete and would need Marvel to sign off on the series. ABC currently houses Marvel’s shows “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.” and “Agent Carter” and Fox could be hoping to replicate Marvel’s success.
The characters from the X-Men franchise are with Fox on the feature side so we won’t be including Marvel characters that are at ABC with Disney,” Walden said of how the deal with Marvel will be structured. “This will be exclusively the franchise as it has existed at Fox.”
Are you excited at the possibility of an “X-Men” television series? Sound off in the comments below and let us know!