While Star Wars: The Last Jedi may not have been nominated for any mainstream Academy Awards (save John Williams for his amazing score), the eighth installment in the Star Wars Saga was nominated for a few technical awards, including Visual Effects, and Sound Editing.
Visual effects, while important, have become a mainstream discussion point for film buffs and laymen alike with the rise (and misuse) of CGI. Sound editing, on the other hand, often gets lumped in with music composition and left at that.
How do you record the sounds of space horses galloping around a race track? What irritating noise makes the sound of a Porg? Why does the sound of a lightsaber igniting give us chills? How do you even make the sound of a lightsaber igniting?
ABC and Lucasfilm want to take you back behind the scenes at Skywalker Ranch, and explore what goes into making the sounds of Star Wars: The Last Jedi in a trailer for a new featurette called The Force of Sound. You can check out the trailer below:
This featurette will feature interviews with foley artists, sound designers, and the film’s writer/director Rian Johnson.
The Force of Sound will be available for streaming starting February 20, 2018.
Here is the synopsis for the film:
“In Lucasfilm’s Star Wars: The Last Jedi, the Skywalker saga continues as the heroes of The Force Awakens join the galactic legends in an epic adventure that unlocks age-old mysteries of the Force and shocking revelations of the past.”
Written and directed by Rian Johnson, the film stars Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Adam Driver, Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Lupita Nyong’o, Domhnall Gleeson, Anthony Daniels, Gwendoline Christie, Kelly Marie Tran, Laura Dern, Frank Oz and Benicio del Toro.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi will reportedly be released on Blu-ray and DVD on March 27, 2018.
New ‘Solo: A Star Wars Story’ Tie-In Books Revealed
With the release of Solo: A Star Wars Story rapidly approaching, Lucasfilm are doing more than ever to boost the movie’s presence with the general public. A big part of the push will be a series of books tying in to the release of the film, set for release both ahead of and after the film has launched this Memorial Day.
Entertainment Weekly revealed a gallery of images for the plethora of new Star Wars books. Among them include the standard DK books providing a closer look at the technology of the Galaxy Far, Far Away and profiles for all of the major characters, along with new narratives focusing on how the band of smugglers made names for themselves in the realm of smuggling. Some of these books are slated to arrive on in March and April — in time for a major merchandising push for the film — while others are slated to arrive in time for the movie’s release.
Some of the more notable titles include:
- Last Shot: A story that stars Han Solo, Lando Calrissian, Chewbacca, and L3-37, told over the course of three time periods — before the events of Solo, between Solo and A New Hope, and after Return of the Jedi. The story will feature a connection to the Marvel Comics series in that the character of Sana Starros, who claimed to be Han’s wife in the sixth issue of the main series, will appear. Furthermore, we’ll see Ben Solo before he became Kylo Ren.
- Most Wanted: A young reader’s novel that tells the story of how Han and Qi’Ra managed to survive on the streets of the industrial world of Corellia for years without supervision or any real guidance prior to being hired by Tobias Beckett for his big heist.
- Lando — Double Or Nothing: In the second Lando Calrissian-focused miniseries from Marvel Comics, this story focuses on an event that happens shortly before to the events of Solo that involves Lando’s droid co-pilot L3-37. The series will launch the Wednesday after the movie is released.
- The Mighty Chewbacca In The Forest Of Fear: Set before the events of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story, Chewie finds himself taking care of a somebody’s pet until he learns that Han is in trouble. Juggling pet-sitting and heroics, Han teams up with K-2SO (who is on a mission of his own due to the demands of Cassian Andor) and a a librarian bounty hunter by the name of Mayv Trillick.
- Star Wars Adventures: A three-part story involving Han and Chewbacca evading the bounty hunters 4-LOM and Zuckuss on a technologically-primitive planet.
Solo: A Star Wars Story is scheduled for a May 25, 2018 release. Its cast includes Alden Ehrenreich, Woody Harrelson, Emilia Clarke, Donald Glover, Thandie Newton, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Joonas Suotamo, Paul Bettany, Ian Kenny, Warwick Davis, and Jon Favreau.
Board the Millennium Falcon and journey to a galaxy far, far away in Solo: A Star Wars Story, an all-new adventure with the most beloved scoundrel in the galaxy. Through a series of daring escapades deep within a dark and dangerous criminal underworld, Han Solo meets his mighty future copilot Chewbacca and encounters the notorious gambler Lando Calrissian, in a journey that will set the course of one of the Star Wars saga’s most unlikely heroes.
You can check out all the covers for the new books in the gallery below.
Source: Entertainment Weekly