When we last saw Kara, she was mourning the loss of Mon-El and the decision she’d made to save Earth by way of poisoning the air for the Daxamites and defeating Queen Rhea. And per the new season three trailer of Supergirl, she will not have regretted that decision.
The cast and showrunners of Supergirl made their way to Ballroom 20 for their panel at San Diego Comic-Con to drop some new information and hype up the show’s third season. We already know that Cat Grant will be back in the premiere and that she’ll be a recurring character throughout the season and there are also a few new characters who will be joining the show.
Besides major casting news, here are five things to know about Supergirl’s third season:
- The theme of season three is going to be what does it mean to be human. All the characters will be exploring the answer to this question, especially Kara.
- A Kryptonian named Reign will be season three’s primary villain. She isn’t interested in taking over the world. Rather, she has a “specific agenda” that will tie into her storyline.
- Kara was explored last season, but in season three “the scale is leaning very heavily toward Supergirl,” says Melissa Benoist. “Kara Danvers was a mistake,” she says in the trailer.
- James will be “more involved with team Supergirl.” He’s going to have a new love interest and continue being Guardian. He’s also going to be stepping up as a photographer again.
- Mon-El will “return at some point,” but where he currently is is one of the season’s mysteries. The circumstances surrounding him will dictate his relationship with Kara.
Bonus: The producers have an “amazing, beautiful story” lined up for Alex and Maggie that will “honor them as a couple,” says executive producer Sarah Schechter.
Ridding National City of Queen Rhea and her Daxamite army was a major win for Supergirl, but one that came at a significant cost, as Kara was forced to sacrifice her budding relationship with Mon-El. When season three returns with all-new supercharged adventures this fall on The CW, Kara and team will come up against a new threat in the form of DC Worldkiller, Reign.
Supergirl season three will premiere on Monday, October 9 at 8/7c on The CW.