Open the “Book of the Stranger” and you will find the strongest episode of Game of Thrones sixth season since the premiere. An early reunion and several characters’ rebirths adds up to a weighty hour that takes big steps forward in both Westeros and Essos. Let’s dig in!
For simplicity’s sake, these reviews will be formatted thus: by clicking Next, we start in the furthest north and go south – covering the Wall, the North, King’s Landing and the rest of the Seven Kingdoms – and then east, to the Free Cities of Essos and finally, the Dothraki Sea and Slaver’s Bay. I’ve linked to the various sections below if you prefer to skip around with the episode’s storylines. The storylines that were not touched on this episode are italicized.
- Beyond-the-Wall: Bran, Meera, Hodor and the Three-Eyed Raven
- The Wall: Jon, Tormund, Davos and Melisandre
- The North: Sansa, Brienne and Podrick & Ramsay
- Iron Islands, Vale, Riverlands: The Greyjoys, Littlefinger, the Tullys/Freys
- King’s Landing: Cersei and Jaime, the Tyrells, the Sparrows
- Dorne: The Martells
- The Narrow Sea: Sam & Gilly
- Braavos: Arya
- The Dothraki Sea: Daenerys, Jorah & Daario
- Meereen: Tyrion & Varys (plus Episode 5 synopsis and preview)