It’s official: J.J. Abrams is returning to the Star Wars universe for the next chapter of the Skywalker saga.
Disney and Lucasfilm have officially announced that Star Wars: The Force Awakens helmer J.J. Abrams has signed on to write and direct Episode IX, replacing Colin Trevorrow, who exited the project last week.
J.J. Abrams will co-write Episode IX with Academy Award winner Chris Terrio, the writer behind Argo, Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and this November’s DC superhero team-up epic Justice League
Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy said the following in a statement:
“With The Force Awakens, J.J. delivered everything we could have possibly hoped for, and I am so excited that he is coming back to close out this trilogy”
The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson was initially said to be the frontrunner to replace Trevorrow, but he shot down those reports yesterday, saying: “Whoever does it, I’m going to be really excited to be an audience member again.”
Star Wars: Episode IX is currently slated to hit theaters on December 20, 2019. Stay tuned for the latest news from a galar, far away, and make sure to subscribe to Heroic Hollywood’s YouTube channel for more content!