Kong: Skull Island is currently one of the biggest sleeper hits of the year so far, ensuring that the MonsterVerse will go places for the foreseeable future… But director Jordan Vogt-Roberts says that he might not work on the setting again for a while, and especially not for 2020’s Godzilla vs. Kong.
Talking with ScreenJunkies, Vogt-Roberts said that right now, he’s had his fill of King Kong and Kaiju for now and he’s interested in working on a new project altogether:
“I think I’m done with giant monsters for a little bit…I’m really proud of how weird this movie is and I’m really proud of how much people embraced that stuff and actually called out like how strange the movie is. And I wanted it to have a voice and I’m so proud of what we did and how I think it is, like, a nontraditional blockbuster in 2017. And I’m so proud of what Legendary and Warner Bros and those guys allowed me to do and the collaboration that we had. But I definitely don’t think I’ve got Kong vs. Godzilla in me. Never say never, but I’m so proud of the Kong we made and the vibe of him and the energy of him and the vibe of the creatures on that island and everything, but it would be tough for me right now.”
Vogt-Roberts is still attached to direct the Metal Gear Solid adaptation, which may or may not be his next film depending on whether or not that movie gets off of the ground at Sony Pictures. But even then, the MonsterVerse still has plenty of opportunities to utilize the Eighth Wonder of the World, even if he’s not the title character.
Kong: Skull Island is still in theaters, featuring a cast that includes Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, Samuel L. Jackson, John Goodman, Toby Kebbell, John C. Reilly, and Terry Notary. Other MonsterVerse movies in development are Godzilla: King Of Monsters (set for release on March 22, 2019) and Godzilla VS. Kong (set for release on May 29, 2020). No direct sequel to Kong: Skull Island has been announced as of yet.