While the headline might worry some, it really just shows just how much faith Lucasfilm has in director Rian Johnson after he completely knocked Star Wars: The Last Jedi out the park. The film, which is currently sitting at 94% on Rotten Tomatoes, is being praised by many as the best in the franchise since The Empire Strikes Back. But what does the writer and director have in store for this new trilogy? Well, it appears that hasn’t been fully worked out yet.
When asked by SlashFilm about the new trilogy, Johnson revealed that there actually is “not much to talk about” as he is “just at the beginning of the beginning of it.” The outlet then went on to ask how the new trilogy actually came about and if Johnson had pitched any kind of a story to Kathleen Kennedy:
“No. It came about because we were getting to the end of making this and again, I knew I wasn’t doing the next one. And I had had a really good time not just making this movie, but working with Kathy and also working with Disney, working with Bob Iger, Alan Horn, and Alan Berg. And we just had just a really good experience. And we were all…it was like last week of senior year. We were cleaning out our lockers. And all getting kind of sad. And saying, how do we keep working together? And that I threw out, I said, the most interesting thing to me would be a new trilogy, one story told over three movies. Go new places, meet new folks, come up with a new story to tell in the Star Wars universe. The sky’s the limit. That sounds thrilling. And they really responded to that. So we’re off, yeah.”
Having already seen The Last Jedi, I’m beyond excited to see what he does next with the franchise. But that’s all I’m going to say for now and I think many will agree after seeing the film this weekend. Let us know what you think about Johnson’s comments in the section below.
Star Wars: The Last Jedi hits theaters this Friday, December 15th.