Disney has officially announced the home release details and store exclusives for Jon Favreau’s The Lion King remake.
Jon Favreau’s The Lion King was apart of Disney’s record-breaking summer, earning more than $1 billion at the worldwide box office. Despite all the box office success, Jon Favreau’s reimagining of the beloved 1994 animated film was still divisive among critics. 2019’s The Lion King holds a 53% on Rotten Tomatoes, with the feeling from some that the remake was unnecessary.
While the reception was mixed, Disney’s The Lion King remake is still one of the most impressive technical achievements in film and now viewers will get a glimpse behind-the-scenes. Disney has officially announced the home release details for The Lion King. The Blu-ray and digital editions will include the following special features:
- The Journey to The Lion King
- The Music – Go inside the studio with the cast and crew as they work to honor and elevate The Lion King’s beloved music.
- The Magic – Discover how the filmmakers blended the traditional filmmaking techniques with virtual reality technology to create amazing movie magic.
- The Timeless Tale – Filmmakers and cast reflect on the story that has moved generations and share how this Lion King carries a proud legacy forward.
- More to Be Scene – Recording studio and layer-by-layer progressions of some of most iconic moments in The Lion King.
- “Circle of Life” – Peel back the layers of effects and go behind the scenes of this iconic musical moment from the film
- “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” – See all the effects, talent and fun that went into creating this vibrant version of “I Just Can’t Wait to Be King” for the movie
- “Hakuna Matata” – Join Donald Glover (Simba), Seth Rogen (Pumbaa) and Billy Eichner (Timon) in the studio for the making of this memorable scene.
There will also be an exclusive featurette included with the Digital HD version:
- Pride Lands Pedia –Dung beetle shares the importance of his “roll” in the African Savanna in a fun, bug’s eye view of the land and its inhabitants.
And an additional featurette for those who pre-order the film:
- Perfecting the Pride – Join the filmmakers on their research trip to Africa as they immerse themselves in the real world of The Lion King. From the animals in the pride, to the smallest of insects and the grasslands in the savanna, experience the attention to detail that brought the film to life.
A commentary track from Jon Favreau, music videos, Disney song selection (Sing-Along), and more will also be bundled with The Lion King Blu-ray and Digital HD releases.
— The Lion King (@disneylionking) September 16, 2019
In addition to the regular home releases, Disney also announced store exclusive editions for Best Buy and Target. The Best Buy version will be available in steel book form and the Target edition will have exclusive cover art with a gallery book. If you pre-order the film through the Disney Store, you will get exclusive lithographs.
Were you a fan of The Lion King remake? What live-action Disney remake is your favorite so far? Comment below!
Director Jon Favreau’s all-new “The Lion King” journeys to the African savanna where a future king is born. Simba idolizes his father, King Mufasa, and takes to heart his own royal destiny. But not everyone in the kingdom celebrates the new cub’s arrival. Scar, Mufasa’s brother—and former heir to the throne—has plans of his own. The battle for Pride Rock is ravaged with betrayal, tragedy, and drama, ultimately resulting in Simba’s exile. With help from a curious pair of newfound friends, Simba will have to figure out how to grow up and take back what is rightfully his.
Directed by Jon Favreau, Disney’s The Lion King features the voices talents of Donald Glover as Simba, Beyoncé Knowles-Carter as Nala, James Earl Jones as Mufasa, Chiwetel Ejiofor as Scar, Seth Rogen as Pumbaa and Billy Eichner as Timon.
Disney’s The Lion King hits Digital HD on October 11th and will release on Blu-ray, 4K Ultra HD, and DVD on October 22nd.