Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice has been available in both its original theatrical version and extended cut via Digital HD for a couple weeks now – but for fans who have been waiting for its official home video release, the wait is almost over. The much-anticipated Blu-Ray of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition will hit stores everywhere on July 19, and thankfully, I got a chance to have an early look into the film’s visual and audio presentation as well as the many special features that come along with this release. You can check out an in-depth look at the Ultimate Edition itself here.
The best types of Blu-Rays are the discs that would best showcase the visual capabilities that your television has to offer, and if you want to show off the big guns, this Blu-Ray is definitely demo-worthy. Just about every action sequence looks glorious in high definition, my favorite being the Knightmare sequence (more on that coming up) in terms of its pure, visual splendor. I must admit, I wish this release featured the IMAX sequences in their full glory in different aspect ratios much like previous Blu-Ray releases such as The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises. But that is the only setback in terms of the visual presentation on both discs. Another plus is that there are trailers for both Batman: The Killing Joke and Suicide Squad preceding the menus of the Ultimate Edition and the theatrical edition’s discs respectively – a nice addition.
Holy surround sound, Batman! Talk about *explosive*. Both versions of the film are presented through Dolby Atmos sound and give you the next best thing compared to watching the movie in the theater. During the major action set-pieces, the sound effects envelop you into the both the watching experience as well as further immersing you into the narrative. For example, during the Knightmare sequence, every gunshot and punch feels real. And when the score of Hans Zimmer and Junkie XL triumphantly booms through your surround sound system, you just can’t help but feel the intensity elevate to the nth degree.
This Blu-Ray is loaded with featurettes that are both entertaining and insightful all-in-one. They are sure to satisfy fans clamoring for more behind-the-scenes footage of the film’s production. Although I would have liked to have seen an in-depth “making of” documentary, these features still satisfy. All the special features are to be found in the film’s theatrical edition Blu-Ray disc. The following bonus features are as follows:
- Uniting the World’s Finest – A quick peek into the future of the DC Extended Universe, with a look into the characters of Wonder Woman, Aquaman, The Flash, Cyborg, and a glimpse of David Ayer’s Suicide Squad. The highlight of this featurette is seeing the inevitble Justice League members’ cameo appearances being filmed.
- Gods and Men: A Meeting of Giants – An exploration of the relationship of the two most iconic superheroes in history. From their appearances on the page, to their first time sharing the big screen together, this look into Batman and Superman’s dynamics showcases both their differences and their similarities.
- The Warrior, The Myth, The Wonder – The history of Wonder Woman is discussed by many artists, writers, DC actresses, and the upcoming standalone film’s director, Patty Jenkins. This icon’s influence is explored from her creation, to the Lynda Carter era, and finally to her long-awaited big screen debut.
- Accelerating Design: The New Batmobile – Artists and production designers discuss the process of how Batfleck’s Batmobile was designed. This dedicated look into the car epitomizes the iconography of the vehicle in both comic book and cinematic history.
- Superman: Complexity & Truth – A discussion of this film’s depiction of Kal-El, exploring his wardrobe/costume design, and most importantly – the character’s sybmolism that represents the heroic ideals of what Superman truly stands for. You also get some wonderful behind the scenes footage of the titular fight.
- Batman: Austerity & Rage – A look into the character dynamic of the caped crusader – exploring how his public persona is just as much a costume as the cape and cowl he dons every night in Gotham City. This featurette also epitomizes how Ben Affleck exudes the spirit of Bruce Wayne more than any other actor has portrayed him in the past.
- Wonder Woman: Grace & Power – A wonderful look into Diana Prince’s style, delving deep into her elegance when she exhibits her beauty, as well as the confidence that Wonder Woman represents as the most important female superhero of all time finally making her big screen debut.
- Batcave: The Legacy of the Lair – This featurette explores the legacy of the Batcave, expressing the organic blend of both modern technology and ancient, gritty rock. You also get a wonderful exploration on the design of this new Batcave, discussing the production designers’ approach.
- The Might and the Power of a Punch – The power, physics and fascinating details that make Batman and Superman’s climactic battle so formidable is explored in this dynamic and illustrative look.
- The Empire of Luthor – Superman’s sworn enemy is explored from his history in the comic books as well as how this new interpretation with Jesse Eisenberg was created for the DCEU. It also discusses how Lex Luthor is the polar opposite to Superman’s ideals.
- Save the Bats – And the special features conclude with a very important message from the cast and crew raising awareness for Bat conservation. The importance of the many species of Bats are integral to our ecosystem. For more information, you can visit www.savebats.org.
Overall, this Blu-Ray of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition is surely recommended for anyone eager to complete their superhero movie collection. Being able to receive both versions of the film in one package is reason enough to pick this up. Now if you excuse me, I am going to replay the Batman warehouse sequence again.
In Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, fearing the actions of a god-like Super Hero left unchecked, Gotham City’s own formidable, forceful vigilante takes on Metropolis’s most revered, modern-day savior, while the world wrestles with what sort of hero it really needs. And with Batman and Superman at war with one another, a new threat quickly arises, putting mankind in greater danger than it’s ever known before.
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition features an extended cut of the film which includes 30 more minutes of story and action not seen in theaters. The extended cut is rated R.
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice Ultimate Edition will hits stores on July 19. It will be available in an Ultra HD Blu-Ray Combo Pack, a Blu-Ray 3D Combo Pack, a regular Blu-Ray Combo Pack, and a 2-disc special edition DVD. You can check out the Ultimate Edition trailer below.