Ryan Reynolds’ Deadpool 2 has been fined nearly $300,000 for safety violations that killed stuntwoman Joi Harris.
Ryan Reynolds’ Deadpool 2 became one of 2018’s biggest success stories, earning well over $730M worldwide on a $111M budget. Unfortunately, the film had a major set tragedy in the death of stunt woman Joi Harris in August of 2017. The stunt in question was Joi Harris’ first who died after being launched from a motorcycle seat and crashed into the plate glass of a nearby building. Production of Deadpool 2 halted immediately after this occurred.
Now, nearly three years later, the film has been fined for this tragic death. For a number of safety violations that lead to the death of Joi Harris, the WorkSafeBC has fined the film a $289,562 penalty for its role in the stuntwoman’s death. The investigation that was lead by WorkSafeBC found that the people behind Deadpool 2 had violated the Compensation Act and the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation in five critical ways:
• Failure to ensure the health and safety of all workers by failing to identify the hazards and assess and control the risks of the work activity and failing to provide adequate supervision.
• Failure to ensure that the stunt performer complied with the Regulation by wearing safety headgear while operating the motorcycle.
• Failure to ensure the health and safety of the stunt performer by failing to provide adequate supervision with respect to this work activity.
• Failure to provide the stunt performer with a new worker orientation.
• Instructing the stunt performer not to wear safety headgear while operating the motorcycle.
What do you all make of this fine? Should Ryan Reynolds’ Deadpool 2 have been fined a lot more for this accident? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
Here is the plot synopsis for Deadpool 2:
After surviving a near fatal bovine attack, a disfigured cafeteria chef (Wade Wilson) struggles to fulfill his dream of becoming Mayberry’s hottest bartender while also learning to cope with his lost sense of taste. Searching to regain his spice for life, as well as a flux capacitor, Wade must battle ninjas, the yakuza, and a pack of sexually aggressive canines, as he journeys around the world to discover the importance of family, friendship, and flavor – finding a new taste for adventure and earning the coveted coffee mug title of World’s Best Lover.
Directed by David Leitch from a script written by Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick & Ryan Reynolds, Deadpool 2 stars Ryan Reynolds, Josh Brolin, Morena Baccarin, Julian Dennison, Zazie Beetz, T.J. Miller, Brianna Hildebrand, and Jack Kesy.
Deadpool 2 is now available on 4K Ultra HD, Blu-Ray, DVD, and Digital HD. Stay tuned for all the latest news regarding Deadpool and be sure to subscribe to Heroic Hollywood’s YouTube channel for more video content.