Paramount Pictures will release Sonic the Hedgehog on digital early in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.
The feature film adaption of the Sonic the Hedgehog video debuted in theaters to record-breaking box office numbers and continued to perform well over the course of its theatrical. However, the current coronavirus pandemic has forced movie theaters around the world to close or limit audience capacity in an effort to slow the spread of the virus.
As a result, multiple studios have opted to make their recently released on digital platforms earlier than anticipated due to limited means of generating revenue amid the theater shutdowns. Now, Paramount Pictures has announced Sonic The Hedgehog will be available for early digital release starting on March 31, just 46 days after the film debuted in theaters. A May 19 release date for the DVD, Blu-ray, and 4K version was also announced.
Paramount also unveiled the list bonus material included with the digital and home media release:
- Commentary by director Jeff Fowler and the voice of Sonic, Ben Schwartz
- Around the World in 80 Seconds – See Sonic’s next adventure!
- Deleted Scenes – Director Jeff Fowler introduces deleted scenes
- Bloopers – Laugh along with Jim Carrey and the cast
- “Speed Me Up” Music Video
- For the Love of Sonic – Jim Carrey and the cast discuss what Sonic the Hedgehog means to them
- Building Robotnik with Jim Carrey – See Jim Carrey bring supervillain Dr. Robotnik to life
- The Blue Blur: Origins of Sonic – Explore the origins of the legendary Blue Blur
- Sonic On Set – Visit the set with the voice of Sonic, Ben Schwartz
Will you buy your own copy of the film while we try to get through the coronavirus pandemic? Let us know in the comments section below!
Here is the official synopsis for the film:
SONIC THE HEDGEHOG is a live-action adventure comedy based on the global blockbuster video game franchise from Sega that centres on the infamously brash bright blue hedgehog. The film follows the (mis)adventures of Sonic as he navigates the complexities of life on Earth with his newfound – human – best friend Tom Wachowski (James Marsden). Sonic and Tom join forces to try and stop the villainous Dr. Robotnik (Jim Carrey) from capturing Sonic and using his immense powers for world domination.
Directed by Jeff Fowler from a script written by Patrick Casey, Josh Miller, and Oren Uziel, the film features the voice talent of Ben Schwartz as the titular character and stars James Marsden as sheriff Tom Wachowski, Jim Carrey as Dr. Ivo Robotnik, Neal McDonough as US Army Major Bennington, Tika Sumpter as Mrs. Wachowski, Lee Majdoub as Stone, and Frank C. Turner as Crazy Carl. Adam Pally, Natasha Rothwell, Debs Howard, and Elfina Luk also star.
Sonic the Hedgehog was released in theaters on February 14, 2020.