AMC Theaters is planning on re-opening most of their locations around the world in July.
Movie theaters in the United States have been shutdown since mid-March due to the worldwide pandemic with various high profile films like Black Widow and Wonder Woman 1984 moving their release dates back months. As a result, movie theater chains like AMC have been reporting massive losses. This also led to rumors that Amazon might buy the major movie theater chain.
States across the country are slowly lifting social distancing guidelines with some opening movie theaters once again. AMC previously stated that they were positioning themselves for a mid-June re-opening, but that was back in April. The company has since said that they will remain closed until there is new product from Hollywood. With Tenet and Mulan on the horizon, Deadline reports that AMC now believes they will be able to re-open most United States and United Kingdom theaters in July. AMC has already opened ten theaters in Norway, Germany, Spain, and Portugal. CEO Adam Aron has also said that AMC will be implementing the following social distancing guidelines when their theaters re-open:
- Maintaining close contact with local, national and international officials to understand and coordinate the timing and requirements under which we can reopen.
- Consulting with current and former faculty from the prestigious Harvard University School of Public Health to seek guidance from the best scientists and experts on how best to create a safe environment for our guests and associates. Personal protection equipment, cleaning protocols, limited theatre capacity, blocked seating, and other strategies are all being planned. We are especially looking at high tech solutions as well, to aid in our sanitization techniques including the use of electrostatic sprayers, HEPA vacuums and wherever possible upgraded MERV 13 air ventilation filters.
- Establishing a protocol partnership with the global leader in all things clean, the Clorox Company, as they advise us as to how we can make our theatre environments as safe and clean as possible.
- Educating our guests so that they understand the actions we are taking with their safety in mind.
- Implementing aggressive marketing communications and promotional activity aimed at jumpstarting consumer demand.
- Reducing our cost structure, intensely examining every category of our expenditures to lower our spending wherever possible.
After stating that they will no longer show Universal films in response to Trolls World Tour’s VOD release, AMC theaters is also looking to rekindle their relationship with the studio.
Will you be going to a local AMC theater if it’s open in July? Sound-off in the comments section below!
Stay tuned to Heroic Hollywood for all the latest news on AMC and other major theater chains and subscribe to our YouTube channel for more video content in the future!